Courageous Counseling Colorado provides play therapy and art interventions to children aged 3-18 and their families. Play Therapy offers children and teens a safe and supportive environment to explore, understand, and cope with difficult emotions and transitions. Our therapists collaborate with families to provide healthy coping skills, helpful insight, and solutions for growth and change in difficult times. We welcome collaboration with other professionals in your family’s life including occupational therapists, physicians, and teachers in order to provide each child the best treatment possible.
Considerations for during the Pandemic:
We are located in Adams County, CO and as of February 2022, the mask mandate has expired.
We also consider the recommendation from the CDPHE (Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment):
“Mental health care providers may use their clinical judgment to determine if it is medically or clinically necessary for a patient to remove their mask during an in-person appointment. Mental health care providers must wear masks at all times, excluding when it is clinically necessary to remove the mask to perform a mental health technique or service. However, there is an exception to a client’s requirement to wear a mask if a person cannot medically tolerate a face covering, has trouble breathing or anyone who is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance (according to the Centers for Disease Control).”
You may speak with your therapist to determine if it is medically or clinically necessary for client and therapist to wear a mask during session.
Office Safety Precautions in Effect During the Pandemic:
- Office seating in the waiting room and in therapy/testing rooms has been arranged for appropriate physical distancing.
- My staff and I wear masks when it is medically and clinically necessary.
- My staff maintains safe distancing.
- Windows and other sources for ventilation are utilized whenever possible.
- Restroom soap dispensers are maintained and everyone is encouraged to wash their hands.
- Hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol is available in the playroom and waiting room.
- We schedule appointments at specific intervals to minimize the number of people in the waiting room.
- We ask all patients to wait in their cars or outside until no earlier than 5 minutes before their appointment times.
- Doorknobs, toys, pens, and other areas that are commonly touched are thoroughly sanitized after each use.
- Physical contact is not permitted.
- Tissues and trash bins are easily accessed. Trash is disposed of on a frequent basis.
- Common areas are thoroughly disinfected at the end of each day.
Courageous Counseling Colorado draws from multiple modalities, including:
Child-Centered Play Therapy
Child-Centered Play Therapy uses play and the therapeutic relationship between the therapist and your child to provide a safe, dependable therapeutic environment.
Filial Therapy is a special kind of play therapy where the therapist teaches and guides your child through play techniques to use with your children.
Therapeutic Crisis Intervention
Therapeutic Crisis Intervention is a model used by the therapist to help teach you and your children constructive ways of dealing with a crisis or emergency.
Companioning and Grief Therapy
Companioning is a type of grief therapy that focuses on accompanying you through a death loss or coping with a loved one’s terminal illness.
Sandtray Therapy is a mostly nonverbal form of therapy where the therapist aids your child in expressing themself through symbol and metaphor using miniature objects and the familiar medium of sand.
Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) is an evidenced-based treatment used by our therapists for children, teens, and their caregivers who have experienced trauma.